Repair of broken Helm Bolster

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

Repair of broken Helm Bolster

Postby ImRich » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:57 pm

I wonder how many broken helm seat bolsters are out there.

On my '05 3560 I noticed the bolster pad moved too much when it was in the vertical position if someone put some weight on it. Perhaps these were designed to lean against them, and not to have someone sit on them when in the vertical position, but mine was broken.

I checked a friends '07 4060 and his was the same way.

If you take the vinyl off of the bolster, here is what you see:
bolster_broken.jpg
Bolster interior - cracked in many places

There are several cracks in the 'spine'!

Basically, every place where the manufacturer added a screw to fasten the 'top' to the 'spine', the 'spine' cracked!
bolster_break_1.jpg
You can see two breaks here

Probably because the screws were too large for the material:
bolster_break_3.jpg
Close up of a break, showing the very large screw

Here's how I fixed mine, I added a piece of aluminum angle to the length of the 'spine' and screwed it in many places using #8 stainless flat head screws and counter sunk the screw heads:
bolster_repair.jpg
Repair it by using a piece of aluminum and counter sunk flat head screws

I also counter-sunk the nuts so that they would not be felt under the foam:
bolster_countersunk_nuts.jpg
Counter sink the nuts so that they are not felt through the foam when sitting on the seat and to keep the nuts from wearing through the vinyl

Re-attach the foam and vinyl and re-insall on the helm seat. Now it's better than it was when new.

I would put money on it that almost every helm seat designed this way is broken!

FYI, my dealer said that you can't order the bolster pad separately, and a new helm seat would cost about $1600!

This repair cost me about $25 in parts.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Re: Repair of broken Helm Bolster

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

Good fix to know. I had a similar issue on my 3060 as well with the king starboard breaking.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Mischief Managed » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 am

I've had to repair (and improve) the helm seats on both Regals that I've owned and also used aluminum extensively. They seem to be a consistent weak point from what I can tell by our small sample sizes. It's good to be handy and I like your fix a lot.

I bought a Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler that shoots Arrow T-50 SS staples. It's powerful and surprisingly reliable; I highly recommend it if you ever need to do more marine (or motorcycle) upholstery repair. Only 21 bucks. That said, I'd be happy to lend it out...
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby ImRich » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:19 am

Thanks for the offer, that's always appreciated!

If you ever need some stainless staples for a small repair, let me know. I have large box of more than I can use and would be happy to give you some if you need it. The shipping costs usually cost more than the staples themselves, so I purchased more than I needed for my last boat, but I sold the boat before I finished all the repairs that I had planned.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby socalboater » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am

The above was very helpful. Working on a similar repair this weekend. Regal quoted $75 for replacement plastic (mine is a lot smaller that the one pictured) so it's definitely worth taking the time to make it better. Thank you for the helpful pictures.
2008 Regal 2400, 8.1L Volvo Gi DP
Boat: Lake Havasu, AZ
Home: Aliso Viejo, CA
socalboater

Postby timp4411 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:19 pm

ImRich wrote:Thanks for the offer, that's always appreciated!

If you ever need some stainless staples for a small repair, let me know. I have large box of more than I can use and would be happy to give you some if you need it. The shipping costs usually cost more than the staples themselves, so I purchased more than I needed for my last boat, but I sold the boat before I finished all the repairs that I had planned.

Hi Rich.

Can you please tell mw where you got those staples? I have been looking for some Monel staples to tack down the carpet padding on my Jet Ski Lift and wanted to use stainless to tack the carpet in place.

Thanks.
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby steve & dot » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:36 pm

McMaster-Carr sells stainless and nickel staples for the T50. They ship same day.
2007 Regal 1900 - 4.3GXi V/P SX
South Jersey
steve & dot

Postby ImRich » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:33 am

Sorry, I forget where I got the staples, I have had them for about 5 years now. I'm sure Google can find them for your, or as mentioned, McMaster.
Rich
2005 - 3560
Unbelievable!
NH
ImRich

Postby timp4411 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:05 am

steve & dot wrote:McMaster-Carr sells stainless and nickel staples for the T50. They ship same day.

Thanks for the info !
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby timp4411 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:05 am

ImRich wrote:Sorry, I forget where I got the staples, I have had them for about 5 years now. I'm sure Google can find them for your, or as mentioned, McMaster.

Thanks Rich.
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Postby gofast24 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:12 am

timp4411 wrote:

Hi Rich.

Can you please tell mw where you got those staples? I have been looking for some Monel staples to tack down the carpet padding on my Jet Ski Lift and wanted to use stainless to tack the carpet in place.

Thanks.

Last time I bought SS staples was from Sears. That is where I got the heavy duty mechanical staple gun from, a long time ago! Have used it for at least 20 years, no problems other than finding the SS staples (I would rather have SS than monel metal, a lot stronger and will never rust or corrode).
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby timp4411 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:58 am

gofast24 wrote:
timp4411 wrote:

Hi Rich.

Thanks.

Last time I bought SS staples was from Sears. That is where I got the heavy duty mechanical staple gun from, a long time ago! Have used it for at least 20 years, no problems other than finding the SS staples (I would rather have SS than monel metal, a lot stronger and will never rust or corrode).

Hmm.... Sears, I'll check them out.
Thanks
2006 3860 Hard Top
timp4411

Return to Repair Shop