Trent-Severn in Summer 2019

Inform members of your favorite itinerary or destination.

Trent-Severn in Summer 2019

Postby Mischief Managed » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Exploring ideas for my annual "big boating trip" for 2019. I did the Rideau as part of a 17 day loop cruise this year and really liked it, and the Trent-Severn looks like a similarly great trip. The only downside is that I will not be able to do a loop, it will have to be Lake Ontario to Lake Huron and back the same way. Anyway, I would love to hear any recommendations for must-see places on the Trent-Severn. For reference, on the Rideau, we really enjoyed Westport, Perth, Merrickville and Ottawa. We expect it will take 7 days of traveling each way, excluding extended stops; this is based on the 35ish MPH cruising speed of my boat, the distances between locks, and what looks like not too much no wake zone on this route.
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Re: Trent-Severn in Summer 2019

Postby Lost Weekend » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:49 am

We have our home port just south of Orillia at the North end of Lake Simcoe. That's just before the last 4 locks on the Trent-Severn before it spills out into Georgian Bay at Port Severn. Personally I find the trip from lake Simcoe to Port Severn to be the more interesting part of the Trent-Severn because you are going through picturesque Muskoka country that is much most scenic than the essentially man made ditch though farm country South to lake Simcoe ( i.e. the other 41 some locks going South form Lake Simcoe to Lake Ontario). The Big Chute Marine Railway (I think Lock 44) is quite the adventure if you have never been to it. You load your entire vessel (crew and all) onto a submerged railway car, your vessel is held fast by hydraulic adjusted straps, and then the railway car pulls out of the water on rails and carries you and your vessel over the highway, down the pother side steep slope and then gently floats you once the railway car submerges at the end of the trip. If I am technically savvy enough I'll post some pictures, but for sure you can search for Big Chute Marine Railway on YouTube.

Because our vessel has IPS drives that hang down, our vessel has to hang-off the back of the railway car from the hard top pylons back and some 30 or more feet in the air. It makes it quite a thrilling adventure as the railway car slowly lumber out of the water and over the highway (the railway car shudders a bit and I have had the feeling more than one that our boat wold fall off!!)

There are also quite a number of very nice marinas along the way, and a number of publications about cruising the Trent Severn that offer great local knowledge and info about marinas, repair facilities, restaurants, etc.

Just be very careful navigating and stay Exactly in the marked channels, Most places on the Northern portion of the Trent Severn are 20 plus feet in depth, but then there are quite an number of stretches that are 5 feet or so and you can see the rock ledges just below the surface on either side of a 30" marked channel.
Stephen
"The Billy Madalena"
2006 - Regal 3860
Twin Volvo IPS diesel 400's
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lost Weekend

Postby Mischief Managed » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the info. Are there interesting villages and such to visit on the Trent-Severn between Lake Simcoe and Lake Ontario?
Raymond NH, USA

Mischief Managed
2000 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
Mischief Managed

Postby Lost Weekend » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:32 am

There are. Check out www.trentsevern.com and see if you can get a copy of the Ports Cruising Guide to the Trent-Severn Waterway shown on the home page of that website.
Stephen
"The Billy Madalena"
2006 - Regal 3860
Twin Volvo IPS diesel 400's
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lost Weekend

Return to Travel