regal 2665 problem getting on plane

General repair/maintenance/upgrade information exchange.

regal 2665 problem getting on plane

Postby florida crusing » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:02 pm

I have recently purchased a 2005 Regal 2665.Love the boat ,great shape.When 6 or more adults are in the boat it struggles to get on plane unless we move 2 or 3 people to cuddy cabin.The plates and motor angle are being used properly. The bilge starts to fill with water if you don't move folks forward.This has already cost me a starter ,so I am interested in preventing it 's re-occurance.I cannot figure out how the water gets into the bilge area as it is water tight [new boot installed recently].
Thanks for the help
Mike
florida crusing

Re: regal 2665 problem getting on plane

Postby mikee » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Not sure which engine/drive you have. Merc has a seal on the steering arm. If that seal fails, it will allow water into the boat. Water in the bilge can add significant weight and it will be at stern making it difficult to plane.
Mike
1992 Valanti 260
mikee

Postby florida crusing » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion.The motor is a Merc 350.I will check the seal
florida crusing

Postby GnrlPatton » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:25 am

I've got an 06 2665, I do have the same problem. I have to go tabs full down, and nail the throttle, it will take some time, but will eventually come up on plane. With 5-6 adults on, I ask people to move forward, which helps.

I don't know where your water is coming from, but I know when I bought mine last spring, there was a bunch (30-40 gallons estimated) of water in the bilge under the mid-berth. There is an access hatch there, and it was just full of water. It turns out that the shower/galley sump pump wasn't hooked up properly, so the water wasn't getting pumped out to the holding tank. I'm pretty sure that there are passage ways from the cabin bilge back to the engine room, I wonder if you might have the same problem, and when you go bow high to get on plane, the water goes back through those passage ways? Might be worth a look.

Kevin
2006 2665 Commodore - Mercruiser 6.2L - Bravo III
GnrlPatton

Postby Prime Time » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Hi, about the speed, I have the same problem with 4 people on board (and more), so I move everybody to the front. However I have the Yanmar diesel (200HP).

About the water, perhaps it is an idea to use the handpump on starboard before you get off the slip to be sure that there is no water. Look/check what happens without or slow speed. It could be the rubber ring/muff. It has to be renewed after 2 or 3 boating seasons. When it stays dry you move up the speed and then it could be the other option (from downunder the bed and showerpump etc.).

Hopefully this helps you a bit.
Succes,
Theo.
Theo,
Prime Time,
2665 Yanmar diesel 2004,
Homeport: Dinteloord,
The Netherlands.
Prime Time

Postby MikeA » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:12 am

Theo, could you explain what the "rubber ring/muff" is please? Are you talking about the bellows or something else?

Thanks
Mike
MikeA

Postby Prime Time » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:26 am

Hi Mike, Yes you are right, sorry but I don't know all this technical words in English :? .
I am the first owner and the bellow was replaced after 5 seasons. It was done by a professional and costed 2.5 hrs. After that you have to reset the sender/receiver near the propellor. This is connected with the up/down meter on the dash.
Good luck and succes!

Theo.
Theo,
Prime Time,
2665 Yanmar diesel 2004,
Homeport: Dinteloord,
The Netherlands.
Prime Time

Return to Repair Shop