Regal 2860 50 hours with OSI DP

New, and old Regal boat model information and questions.

Regal 2860 50 hours with OSI DP

Postby Fraser in the Valley » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:02 pm

I am considering purchasing a 2009 2860 with only 50 hours on it. But after reading in the forum about bellows issues I have cool (not cold )feet. I currently own a 2007 2250 with 127 hours and love the boat but recently I am having trim issues which will be serviced next week. I feel like its a omen but maybe I am overly suspicious.
I baby my boat and follow all of the recommended servicing. My previous two boats had Mercs in them and gave me no trouble at all during almost 15 years of service. Any suggestions other than a survey?
Fraser in the Valley

Re: Regal 2860 50 hours with OSI DP

Postby our time » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 am

if after reading about all of the xdp outdrive problem, you stll buy them. Then you deserve what you get. I would run away as fast as you can. I spent about 16000 dollars getting rid of them. They are pure garbage.
OUR TIME
2008 Cruisers 390 Sport Coupe with IPS 600 Diesels
our time
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby PleasureTime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 am

Our Time, as well as many others, had serious problems with the XDP drives. VP should have replaced every one of them at no charge to the customer but they elected to offer replacements at a reduced cost and still charge the customer normal labor rates to make the change. Not a very popular solution to a problem that they are responsible for.

This will probably stir up a hornets nest but I'm not going to tell you not to buy it. But I will tell you that if you do just remember not to turn hard left or right or run it with the leg raised more than 15-20 degrees. The U-joint on the drive shaft will rub on the bellows, when put in any stress, and cause damage to it. The boat that your looking at probably has the 4.3L engines, I think the bulk of the problems with the XDP's were those connected to the higher torque 8.1L engines. You should be able to buy the boat about $30K under market price (that's about what it would take to replace the drives with the latest and greatest). Have them pulled and checked for water intrusion, U-joint damage, etc. Have the latest version of bellows installed and who knows, you may be fine. Be prepared to take a beating when you sell though.
Boating should be a kick-back "PleasureTime"

Tom [PT]
'06 Regal 3360 5.7OSXi XDP
PleasureTime
2012 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Miss Rachel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:40 am

I think Pleasure Time nailed it. If you decide to buy:
Have the drives and bellows checked out/serviced to make sure there are no existing problems
Buy the boat at a discount, reflecting the discount you will have to give when you sell it.
Go easy on the sharp turns, especially with a material amount of trim on

I had a 3760, purchased new in 2009, with 8.1's (370 hp) and XDPs. Had the latest bellows. Did the maintenance by the book. I owned the boat 3 years. And every year one or both of the drives had water intrusion and needed replacement of the gimbal bearing and/ or some sort of drive/universal joint/shaft.

The good news: I was meticulous about the maintenance and let the dealer and VP know that I was aware of the XDP history and problems. Volvo Penta paid for all of it.

If I were you I would not buy the boat. The boat is for pleasure. Even if the drives work you will worry about them. There are a zillion boats out there for sale. Go find one without known defects.
Miss Rachel
Regal 3760
Lake Lanier Georgia
Miss Rachel
2012 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby Miss Rachel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:14 am

I looked at the original post by Fraser In The Valley and I don't see a reference to the infamous XDP drives. OSI, which I think is an engine designation, and DP - Duo Prop - are mentioned.
Our responses have presumed XDP. Fraser In The Valley - does the boat you are looking at have the composite XDP drives?
Miss Rachel
Regal 3760
Lake Lanier Georgia
Miss Rachel
2012 Regal Owners Supporter

Postby PleasureTime » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:59 am

Good point Miss Rachel, there may be nothing to be concerned about except for a standard survey.
Boating should be a kick-back "PleasureTime"

Tom [PT]
'06 Regal 3360 5.7OSXi XDP
PleasureTime

Postby our time » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:18 pm

as far as I know the OSI engines all were mated to the Dreaded XDP composite drives. They are easy to tell apart from any other vp drive. Instead of having a tilt ram on both sides of the drive the XDP only has one ram in the center of the drive and you can only see it if the drive is raised. The drives could have been changed. If you can't tell what have a mechanic look at them for you
OUR TIME
2008 Cruisers 390 Sport Coupe with IPS 600 Diesels
our time
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby Fraser in the Valley » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for all of your comments. Funny enough the broker was pulling the drives off after I posted this and asked the question about the failure. Not a comforting action. A pleasure boat should give just that-pleasure with
without the constant worry of lurking big repair bills.
Fraser in the Valley

Return to Boat Models