Regal 280 Express TV antenna

If you could ask Regal a question directly then what would it be? (While Regal does read our site from time to time please do not expect them to answer your question here!)

Regal 280 Express TV antenna

Postby Mhook1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Does anyone know where the "ships" antenna is located. I assuming inside the arch and wondering if it can be replaced with something better.
Mhook1

Re: Regal 280 Express TV antenna

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Just an FYI you might want to correct the model number, it's actually the 28 Express, not the 280 Express. ;) Sorry to nit pick, but if people are doing searches down the road nothing would show up.

Considering that I didn't find any pictures of one on google it would seem elusive for sure. The normal install that Regal was using was the Shakespeare 2030-G and it would have been put on the arch. However that is no longer on their website, Shakespeare. That being said it was not really a good trailering type antenna as it was all plastic dome and being more UFO / flat type would catch the wind and wobble quite a bit. With the fold down arch that might help some to get it out of the wind stream. You could use about anything you wanted to. It all depends how close you are to the TV transmitters. Keep in mind that most transmitters are either in VHF-Hi or UHF frequencies now, even though the Channel number might say 4. This is good and bad. Also when moving multipath can be horrendous with digital TV vs analog. As long as you are at anchor it works well.

Also as an FYI, as you move from area to area (outside the other transmitting areas) say from Miami to Orlando for example you need to auto tune the TV again each time you go between areas. This is because of the virtual channels of DTV, they don't use the numbers that they are on the dial anymore in the digital world. The displayed channel number isn't the same as the RF channel number and the TV has to relearn all the channels each time you move from city to city.
Thanks, Chris

2012 - Regal 35 Sports Coupe - Twin VP 5.7GiCE-300-P - DP-SA - SOLD
2011 - Sea-Doo RXT260s - 1503HO Rotax 4TEC
2007 - Regal 3060 - Twin VP 5.0OSi - XDP - SOLD
2002 - Crownline 230BR VP 8.2GSiPEFS - DP-SM - SOLD
Chris_in_Texas
2013 Regal Owners MULTIPLE Donator!

Postby Mhook1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:48 am

Funny because I keep saying 280 instead of 28 and I do know that. Must be a mental block. lol I remember having the "UFO" tv antenna that never worked well. I couldn't find anything anywhere including the Regal manual about location of "ship" antenna. Wherever it is it doesn't work too good. I guess I could connect a portable digital to the shore input when not at my dock.
Mhook1

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:32 pm

I would mount a ship antenna to the arch, or even do the small KVH or Intellian dome if you really want TV. ;) I have one that I had on my 3060, but never re-mounted on my 35SC. If you are an existing Dish or DirecTV subscriber they are just an additional receiver so its pretty cheap after the initial investment. :D
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Postby Batchski » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 pm

It seems Regal has added this to the list of items they can eliminate to save costs. Likely guessing that many are not even using the TV antenna any more, and probably right. On my 32 we mostly plan to use phone or wifi connections to stream any media we want. But I wanted to see if I could get the TV to work even a little, just in case I wanted to flip on the news. I decided to try an indoor antenna, and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS ... UTF8&psc=1

I found a coax cable pre-run that was behind my cockpit grill. Hooked the antenna up, and it worked immediately and pulled in about 50 channels here in Southern California (here we have a ton of foreign language channels). Now perhaps it won't last forever, but for $30, one small problem solved! Maybe you can access a wire somewhere on your 28 and try the same thing. If you plan to use it a lot I would go for the full marine antenna and mount it on the arch.
Bruce
2014 Regal 32 Express, Mercruiser 5.7's, Axius Premier
2005 Regal 3060 Window Express, Volvo 5.7's (Sold)
Newport Beach, CA
2001 Supra Sunsport 22' Ski/Wakeboard Boat, Indmar 320HP
Batchski

Postby gofast24 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:57 am

Batchski wrote:It seems Regal has added this to the list of items they can eliminate to save costs. Likely guessing that many are not even using the TV antenna any more, and probably right. On my 32 we mostly plan to use phone or wifi connections to stream any media we want. But I wanted to see if I could get the TV to work even a little, just in case I wanted to flip on the news. I decided to try an indoor antenna, and bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS ... UTF8&psc=1

I found a coax cable pre-run that was behind my cockpit grill. Hooked the antenna up, and it worked immediately and pulled in about 50 channels here in Southern California (here we have a ton of foreign language channels). Now perhaps it won't last forever, but for $30, one small problem solved! Maybe you can access a wire somewhere on your 28 and try the same thing. If you plan to use it a lot I would go for the full marine antenna and mount it on the arch.

I just bought the same one, $19.95 on Amazon. I am tired of Direct TV continuous to add $4.99/ $5.95 / month to my three SAT receivers! I am cancelling a standard definition receiver costing $10 for the box and then they charge $7 for having a TV that you need to plug the Box" into? ? Who actually leases or rents a Directv receiver and doesn't have a TV to plug it into? I am going to a "off air" digital signal via the Amazon $20 flat panel antenna with the included signal amplifier, cancel the sat service for that TV, and then also doing the same thing on the Regal at dock and at sea!!. Just another note = I went form a 7.5 Meg internet access to a 3.5 Meg service and the price went from $22/ month to $42? They told me if I bundled my DirecTV . home phone, and internet service I would save money, duh?
gofast24
2001 Regal 4160
Twin VP 8.1GSiI V Drive Inboards
Lake Lanier, GA
gofast24

Postby pnyxxpress » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Mhook1, Did you ever find the ships antenna on your 28 Express?
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby Mhook1 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 am

I was told it is "inside" the arch and it doesnt work very well unless you are pretty close to broadcasting stations. I just hook up a hd antenna to the shore connector that i got from a camping place. Work great and takes 5 seconds to hook up
Mhook1

Postby pnyxxpress » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 am

I'll have to do a little research. I only see one wire loom running up the port side arch. I figured it was only an electrical loom for lights. What antenna did you go with and what do you think the range is? Thanks!
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby pnyxxpress » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:39 am

I checked the wire loom in the arch. It only contains electrical wiring. There is no antenna in the arch.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby tlovell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:18 pm

pnyxxpress wrote:I checked the wire loom in the arch. It only contains electrical wiring. There is no antenna in the arch.

Thanks for saving me that job. Let me know if you find where it goes to from the TV, if anywhere. The pessimist in me suspects there is no "Boat Antenna", just a switch that would allow you to use one , if you installed it!
tlovell

Postby pnyxxpress » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:52 pm

It looks like the arch will need to be removed to run the wire internal. Not really what I want to do so I mounted the antenna on the arch and ran a cable to the transom where the shore antenna connection is. I have an omni direction Shakespeare. It did well but was hoping for better. What does everyone else use? Also I have reception problems when the boat moves while on the hook and when we move around the boat causing it to rock. I wasn't expecting that with an omni directional antenna.
Regal 28 Express
"Drift Away"
pnyxxpress

Postby Chris_in_Texas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:16 pm

If you have speakers etc you might be able to fish it though the arch.

As for the reception, welcome to the wonderful world of digital TV signals. Multi-path signals aren't your friend for sure. Back in the analog days you could simply watch TV and put up with static and ghosting on the TV while moving around. With the DTV its difficult to do that now, as the signal will be there all the way up to its not. There is no in between at all, other than the equivalent to a bad cell phone call and lots of pixelization due to the much higher bandwidth requirements.
Thanks, Chris

Chris_in_Texas

Return to Ask Regal