Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Show us your boat mods!

Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Postby Alan B » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 am

I have a 2004 2860 Commodore
When I purchased the Regal knowing it was a cruiser not for fishing . I got a good deal . I also had a 21 ft walk around cuddy cabin fishing boat . My original plan was too keep the smaller boat for trailering too fishing too areas like the Keys and enjoy the Regal with wife . Has all the comforts of home, my water condo .
Plans never worked out and never use smaller boat and found soft areas in transom . Having two boats is a lot of work and decided too make the Regal a bit more comfortable for fishing . Most weekends grandkids are with me 2 boys with 2 adults trying too fish off transom STINKS
We are not serious fisherman but enjoy dropping a line catching something .
At times I sit on the swim platform on a cooler , with rod in water . Wife sits in rear seating
Sitting on a cooler on swim platform could be dangerous and don't go out in rolling seas and I don't let the boys out there.
Just not enough room too fish
Removal of rear seating is a bit better . I have 4 rod holders clamped onto railing, and installed a few thru gunnel rod holders
Regal has radar arch
No place for fishing boxes , pails , steeping over stuff .
Drivers seating has this weird set up with empty cavities that hold nothing
Has anybody have similar Regal or cruiser faced similar issues ?.
I was considering selling getting a sport fisherman something with fishing room also luxury cabin but bad timing . Heads had water intrusion on both engines and installed new long blocks rather then rebuilding heads so I might financially keep for a while and want too make this boat more fishing friendly
When wife & myself are by ourselves we adapt but once the grandkids & adult kids join us really stinks
Boys have a better time fishing at marina off docks rather then dealing with gramps & their father yelling at them cause there is no room on Regal and they are being boys .

Other then Sell and get a fishing cruiser any ideas
thanks
Alan B

Re: Making 2004 Regal 2860 transom area fishing frendly

Postby 40GT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:11 am

The first thoughts that come to my mind are:
1) extend your swim deck
2) put removable rails on it.

If you are happy with your swim decks current sixe - just install the rails.
These rails will give you something to lean against while fishing, something to stop you falling over board, something to attach rod holders and a BBQ to.

There are numerous after market swim deck companies.
One example - http://www.swim-platform.com/cruiser_gallery.html

Search google for swim platform rails.

Happy fishing.
40GT

Return to Boat Modifications