Truck &Trailer parking

Truck &Trailer parking

Postby steve123 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi,
Im going to be trailering my 2465 down to florida from Ontario in april 2010. Im looking for a place to park my truck and trailer from the 5th to the 25th of april while im out cruising.
Does anyone know of a public ramp on the east coast somewhere between miami and key west that has free or cheap parking?
most of the places to launch i've found so far in the area charge around $8 a day to park on top of a launching fee.
thanks steve.
steve123

Re: Truck &Trailer parking

Postby Comfortably Numb NC » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:04 am

Steve,

Last spring Carol and I pulled our boat down to Florida and spent a week cruising the keys. We launched and stayed the first night at Pennekamp State Park Marina in Key Largo. We cruised down for a night at Bahia Honda State Park Marina and then on down to Key West and a couple nights at the Galleon Resort Marina (downtown Key West). The Galleon Resort is a great place to stay. Going back up we stayed another night at Bahia Honda then a night at Banana Bay Resort Marina and our last night back at Pennekamp State Park. To answer you question, we paid for a slip at Pennekamp for the week. It was cheap and it allowed us to park the truck and trailer in a secure area.

We made our trip the first week of March. Unfortunately for us it was the coolest and windiest week they had had for some time. Their normal highs are 79 and even though it was sunny it struggled to to hit 60. We had to keep the full camper top up the entire week to stay dry. Most days we encountered 3 to 4 foot seas. We cruised the Hawk Channel down to Key West and planned to cruise the ICW on the return trip. When we left Key West and turned north we encountered 6 - 8 foot seas about 20 miles out of port so we turned around and went back up the Hawk Channel where wel had 3 - 5 foot seas. Everyday was a rough ride in our little 2565 but we enjoyed ourselves in port every evening. We logged 368 miles that week and with the rough seas burned 263 gallons of fuel. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.

David & Carol
Attachments
IMG_4335.jpg
Key Largo
IMG_4241.jpg
Galleon Resort Marina
IMG_4303.jpg
Galleon Resort Marina
IMG_4200.jpg
Bahia Honda State Park
David & Carol
"Comfortably Numb" Maxum 3700 SCR
& Regal Ventura 6.8
Monroe (Charlotte), NC
Comfortably Numb NC
Regal Owners Supporter

Postby steve123 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:53 pm

David,
Thanks for taking the time to share your florida keys experience with us we really appreciate it.
John Pennekamp Park looks like a good start/end point, I've messaged enquiring about a reservation.
Nicole (my wife) looked up The Galleon Resort and was very impressed so that's been added to the agenda as well.
Thanks again,
Steve & Nicole
steve123

Postby Comfortably Numb NC » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:58 am

Pennekamp's transient dock is a fixed pier (non-floating) and you pull in perpendicular to the dock and tie off to piles. Be sure to have at least 5 dock lines. I prefer six when tying to piers (2 bow, 2 stern and 2 spring lines). The outer piles on some slips are around 18' and the others slips are about 24' out form the dock. If you tie your spring line to the stern be sure it is long enough to use in the longer slips. I carry 30' lines just for this use.

The Galleon has a very nice floating dock and their facilities are nice. They have showers for the boaters and you have access to the sauana, hot tub and pool. It is right downtown and you can rent a scooter out front.

This was our first trip to Key West and to be honest it wasn't anything special for us. Its a tourest town and when the cruise ships dump their passengers it gets crowded. We prefer running the ICW between the Outer Banks and Savanna, GA. We do this about six time a year and have our favorite places to go. #1 for us is Bald Head Island which is were we are headed Thursday afternoon and returning Monday. There are no cars on Bald Head and the only way there is by water. We like going in the spring and then again at the end of Novemebr. This is the time when there are few tourests and kids. #2 is Port Royal Landing Marina in Beaufort, SC. There is nothing exciting to do but relax on your boat. You can go in to Beaufort or a short cruise down to Hilton Head or Savanna. But we love the piece and quite there.

Anyway, we love the ICW as wecan travel for days and not have to endure the rough seas and there is so much to do and see.
David & Carol
"Comfortably Numb" Maxum 3700 SCR
& Regal Ventura 6.8
Monroe (Charlotte), NC
Comfortably Numb NC
Regal Owners Supporter

Return to General - Florida Area